One container of MILK BAR Cereal Milk – Find the recipe here.
(Makes 2 1/2 cups – you will have a little left over, be sure to pour yourself a small glass and enjoy while you wait for your ice cream to be done!)
Ice Cream Base from Salt & Straw
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp Dry Milk Powder
1/4 tsp xanthan gum (it IS easy to find, I use Bob’s Red Mill)
2 Tbsp Light Corn Syrup
1 1/3 Whole Milk (Your Cereal Milk that you just made)
1 1/3 Cups Heavy Cream (I use 30% whipping cream)
- Combine Sugar, Dry Milk, and xanthan gum in a small bowl, mix and set aside.
- Pour your corn syrup into a medium pot and stir into the whole milk.
- Add sugar mixture and immediately whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Set Pot over medium heat, DO NOT BOIL.
- Stir often to avoid over heating, you may need to adjust your heat occasionally to prevent simmering.
- Once your sugar mixture is dissolved, remove pot from heat and add whipping cream, whisking until it is all combined.
- Transfer your mixture to an airtight container (I put plastic wrap tightly around the top of my pot and put it right into the fridge).
- Let it refrigerate until well chilled – around 6 hours. If you dont get around to making it that day, it can chill for up to 24 hours (which is recommended for the best flavor)
- After chilling, add to your ice cream maker, and let it churn until it is about “soft serve” texture.
- It will take several hours for your mixture to freeze all the way, but I promise it is worth the wait!
*** Pro tip – combine your ice cream with a warmed piece of the berry breakfast bake for a tasty dessert. Or for an indulgent breakfast treat!