Recipe Courtesy of Foolproof Preserving.This recipe is good solely for temporary storage in the REFRIGERATOR. Marmalade stores for up to two months.
This is my go to preserve. I am not much of a sweet fan, but when you have Carrot Marmalade, it can go either way. Fold some into a dollop of cream cheese for your morning bagel, or into your Mashed Sweet Potatoes for some extra zing. This simple and super easy jam is sure to please and dress up your goat cheese log on a summer charcuterie plate!
1 1/3 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp Sure-Jell for Less or No sugar needed recipes
10 Oz Carrots = 4 Large Carrots Peeled and Shredded, about 1 2/3 Cups.
1 Tbsp grated Fresh Ginger
1 Garlic Clove (or more if you are a garlic hound like me.)
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Fresh Ground Nutmeg
3 Tbsp Bottled Lemon Juice.
* Lemon juice for canning NEEDS to be bottled in order to ensure proper acidity levels.
- Whisk 1/4 Cup Sugar and Sure-Jell together a bow and set aside.
- Microwave 1/2 cup shredded carrots in a covered bowl until soft, about 1 minute.
- Transfer Carrots to Blender and add 1 1/4 Cups of water, process until smooth about 2 minutes and set aside.
- Combine Ginger, Garlic, Salt and Nutmeg, remaining carrots and water into a large sauce pan.
- Cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until carrots have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until water has evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add Blended carrot mixture, lemon juice and Sure-Jell mixture and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Add remaining sugar and bring to a boil, once boiling cook for 1 minute.
- Remove pot from heat and skim foam from surface.
- Meanwhile, place two 1-cup Jars (I ALWAYS use Ball 8 oz jars, they just look so pretty!) in a Large Bowl and run hot water over for about 1-2 minutes and shake dry. I also personally like to run the dishwasher while I am cooking the jam and pull them out right as I am about to can, they’re HOT and they are sterile!
- Shake dry, and place on a towel with space to cool.
- Using a Funnel for Jam and Ladel, portion hot marmalade into hot jars and let cool to room temp, cover and refrigerate until marmalade is set for 12-24 hours and serve!