Since we are cooking for the end times, I always keep rice and other dried goods on hand to build a meal off of. Tonight’s meal was what I like to call a “Pantry to Freezer” meal.
I had frozen and cooked shrimp with the tail off, this helps cut down on time and since it is already cooked, all you have to do is thaw and then warm them in your dish at the end. This also helps your shrimp from being overcooked. The chicken was frozen previously, which I let thaw and then cubed, cooking it in the sauce as the paella was reducing. The Andouille sausage was placed in at the end as well just to heat. Perfect meal for a night in and little effort.
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Yellow Onion Diced
1 Bell Pepper Cubed (I prefer Red or Orange, but Green is good too!)
1 Jalapeño Cubed
2 14.5 oz Cans of Hunts Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Garlic
2 Cups Matiz Paella Rice
7 cups Vegetable Broth (for this recipe I used Better than Boullion Vegetable base)
1 tsp Saffron
1 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 lb Thawed, cooked tail off shrimp
2 Chicken Breasts Raw, Cubed
2 Aidell’s Smoked Pork, Cajun Style Andouille Sausage Links, sliced
1 Bunch Fresh Parsley
1 Bunch Green Onion thinly sliced
- In a Large dutch oven or pan: Combine Olive Oil, diced onion and sauté until onion is transparent.
- In a separate pot, simmer your saffron with the vegetable broth.
- Add peppers, jalapeño and cook with onions until al dente.
- Add Cans of Tomatoes, the Rice and simmer with onions and peppers until most moisture is gone.
- Slowly add in broth and stir to combine.
- Add the Chicken and cook thoroughly. Stirring often to ensure it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Once Rice is cooked, add in your thawed Shrimp and Sausage. Turn temperature to low.
- Warm for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and green onions.
- Serve with a vinegar base hot sauce.