Need a break from eggs and toast?
Eggs in Purgatory is a breakfast staple in our home, its super easy to make and once you get the concept down its really easy to tweak this with whatever you have on hand in your fridge or pantry.
2 tablespoons of Avocado Oil or Ghee
2 large cloves of garlic, chopped finely
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 lb of ground breakfast sausage
1 28 oz can of San Marzano Tomatoes chopped or a jar of great sauce!
Pinch of salt to taste
Dash of pepper to taste
Pinch of dried rosemary and dried basil
Fresh basil to garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage. (I recommend the La Creuset Braise Pan shown in the photo.)
- Drain off fat and place in a small bowl aside.
- Heat the skillet with oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and combine.
- Cook for one minute just until the garlic begins to brown.
- Add San Marzano tomatoes, salt, pepper, dried basil, rosemary and simmer for 5 mins.
- Use a masher to squish down the tomatoes to create a chunky sauce.
- Add the cooked sausage and simmer another 2-3 mins.
- With a spoon, make 6 wells in the sauce and carefully drop an egg in each well.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and cook another 2-3 minutes until the yolks are to your preference.
- Serve with torn fresh basil