Southern Living’s Best Carrot Cake paleo style!
I am a huge fan of Chrissy Teigen, she is a WA native and just funny AF!
A while ago she was going on about the best carrot cake she has ever made and shared the famous recipe. After checking out the recipe I knew with a few tweaks I was making this one.
1 and ½ cups Almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 large eggs
½ cup good raw honey
¾ cup avocado or coconut oil
¾ cup cashew milk (See Recipe)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups grated carrot
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple including the juice
½ cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans plus extra to decorate
- Line or dust 3 round cake pans
- Stir together the first 6 ingredients
- Beat eggs and the next 4 ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth, slowly add in the dry ingredients. Fold in the carrots and next 3 ingredients.
- Pour in pans and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool after baking, assemble in layers with frosting between layers, sides and on top, finish with chopped pecans.
icing recipe – courtesy of paleo running mama
½ cup palm oil shortening, room temp
½ cup coconut oil softened but solid
¼ cup ghee softened but solid
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon of tapioca flour
¼ cup raw honey
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- With an electric mixer blend the shortening, coconut oil and ghee until fluffy
- Add honey slowly and then add in remaining ingredients and whip until creamy.
Store leftover frosting in the fridge